Have a look at the following tweet, which we sent after #Windrush broke into the news. #Windrush was #racism yes, but with the added bonus to the Tories of suppressing Labour voters.
As part of last week’s council elections, at selected polling stations, there was a trial of a voter ID requirement in order to be allowed to vote.
There are several problems with this trial:
- Some people do not have photo ID (driving licence or passport) and there is a higher percentage of non-Tory voters who do not have such ID
- The trial did not require photo ID but many staff and potential voters didn’t know that (non-photo) ID such as bank cards were acceptable to be allowed to vote
- Polling stations where the trial took place were in wards whose result could directly affect which party would have control of the local council
- The trial had not been tested legally before going ahead
- There is negligible voter fraud in UK elections and, thus, absolutely no need for Voter ID
According to the Electoral Reform Society about 4000 voters were denied…
View original post 163 more words